Sunday, December 1, 2013
Thankful most of the time
"When was the last time, you ever saw the sunrise?" I looked out this morning just as the sky began to pinken, brings warmth to my soul just to see the beauty of it giving us all a new slate, a day fresh for us to draw upon.
Thanksgiving week brought a wide varierity of things:
A boss who gives me two days off as holiday, the day before thanksgiving is my own Dad's 95th birthday if he'd been here, I talk to him and tell him he would have most likely hated being 95.
I receive an email from my younger cousin that her sister who has been ill the last few months compliments of diabetes, heart problems, and a dialysis program which she never took to at all, has passed.
Thanksgiving is usually spent with my spousal unit and his Dad lovingly as his Dad goes for treatment, my spouse knowing I'd see the family the next day on their holiday celebration infers I can't come with which leaves me with best and highest use of time, my brother who had invited us to his home but without pressures, is where I will head for.
Sometimes for me with half my original core family gone, I do love my husbands family, yet sometimes I have missed my own sorely, different humors, different souls, time passes for all and waits for absolutely no one, so I went to see a much loved nephew, yes the one I love to toture and play with Auntie Style, and I was able to spend some time talking with my brother and his wife, and see her family as well. Drove back at sunset to see my spousal unit and feed him our bad cookings version of beef stew for Thankgiving, lol.
The next day we hear to the city for the other celebration, most of the family is able to be together for this holiday, only a few are missing due to other plans made long time back, but we do have some fun for ourselves, and it is nice having time to make some new memories, all the while people know we're lucky to have the folks here for yet another year, health systems not perfect, but they work, so we are laughing instead of crying, much to be thankful for all year not just one particular day.
My spousal unit and I leave, I need to get home to get my truck and head to my cousins wake, spousal unit stays on expressway and rescues me big time by driving me to the wake, he probably half knows I would have gotten badly lost if on my own, I hate wakes so knowing he is near me gives me the courage to walk in the door, he waits outside but it is close enough to get me through this. Ma called him my white knight, and yes he still is.
Little lion man walks in and goes to the front, I say my best prayer for her religion and for my universal portal, and after, I slowly greet my cousins and second cousins known to me, one who knows me well doesn't recognize me due to my silver hair and probably her own grief, I tell her it's Chicky a nickname my dad gave me as a baby that stuck with my closest cousins, she takes me to see her sister who looks up blankly from her own thoughts and sees me and come back to life and we hug and sob together, I talk a bit with her son Frankie who has the MS and incideous disease if ever there was one, the Irish have long been known for their tears, and it keeps on going. I am finally able to say I will need to go, my kind Rick is out waiting for me, saying all kinds of goodbyes I find my knight, and we drive home keen on our destination.
Yesterday I spent in my own home, and in my own town, and last night with my own immediate family, some amusement had making pizzas, I prepared the first half of the ingredients and home made dough, and my son takes over as it's time to roll out the dough he is tempermental in his creations, which makes his mother, the daughter of laughing Irene (Ma always laughed when it was getting out of control), laughing as he got pissed off at the dough sticking. Still we had some fun.
Being Thankful is not a one day stint, I think most of us know that, I believe the holiday just serves to pull family back together for a time whereby we acknowledge how lucky we are.
The old "Is the cup half empty or half full?", the real answer always was: "the cup always has something in it".
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment