Saturday, October 25, 2008

Seasons

Do you know the value of "a day"? A Day in each Season? Most of the days in each season hold... Spring in the Midwest, temperatures rise to warm your soul, snows melt off, the landscape changes from brown to green as the grass peeks up from the terrain, trees sprout little buds, a vast array of birds return to either stay here or head further north, tulips and hyacinths up next and a little flower I have one of called a snow drop which comes from a bulb I planted with Dad some twenty years ago...all of the bulb flowers we did here together. The forsythia bushes in the back sprout a pretty yellow flower in the spring....and around that time I want to play Hooke from work quite badly.....and this is known as spring fever....everything bursting with renewed life. (Even as early as mid February it is finally light again on the drive home from work, something I treasure as I hate being in the dark all winter.) The spring rains bringing out the daydreamer in many souls. Spring holds all of the promise of pleasurable days ahead. Summer in the Midwest, hillsides covered in thick grasses, butterflies and dragonflies in a vast array of colors, listening to trees as the wind rustles their leaves, the sun showering you with warmth while you do your outside chores, all of the beautiful flowers within our sight and grasp, the option to grow your own vegetable garden for a few months out of the year, and finally rendering home grown tomatoes so different from the synthetic store bought ones. You and I with our bar-b-ques, listening to music and talking, you letting me get over my work enforced cabin fever, to feel the sun on my face and some breeze...priceless as good as chocolate or sex....for this I thank you, I was meant to be free, I was not meant to be locked up by any design. Me loving the sound of Katydids, and you groaning cause you find the sound annoying. Fall in the Midwest bring us a color feast as the trees change their brilliant hues, the landscape becomes gold and brown again, the farmers that are left harvest their crops and turn the fields to black again, many of the flowers droop, but the hardier ones become actually more beautiful as they show their strength one last time before the killing frost gets them to surrender to the solid cold coming. The birds migrate back out through the area, one more opportunity to spot all of the foreigners to our locale, and now the leaves fall to the ground, blown by the winds that come with the season. More rains to cleans the earth. A time change to make it all more solemn. A time for our families and friends to Give Thanks for all of the good days we've had. Winter in the Midwest brings cold days, time to find the gloves, hats and boots. Darkness when you drive to work and darkness back home, somehow you've missed the daylight except for snatches of it seen through an office window. The first snow always brings a brings the awareness that you need to settle in, and now the terrain is covered in white so clean at first, so pure a vision, until our mere existence batters it to grays and blacks. The birds now are the sparrows, chickadees, finches, cardinals and blue jays, and hawks who are 4 seasoned like us, we are the residents, we stay for all seasons. In winter we have some ice storms that give us trees with brown and blackened branches and lampposts covered in ice, glacial. In winter we have wet snows that covered those items the same yet give off enhanced beauty, so pretty that you'd have to be a dragon not to enjoy the sight of everything covered in clinging snows, it is highly beautiful. Winter brings more time indoors, oven or stove top cooked meals, brings more reading time, or some opt for indoor projects or hobbies which are all welcomed when we are not busy shoveling snow or chopping ice. It is a time to take catnaps on a weekend, it bring Christmas and a New Year to the world, a chance to start over to some degree, another rebirth: winter slowly struggling under harsh temperatures, and harsh weather days, very slowly we head back towards Spring.....and head into the light and promise of the unfolding seasons. I have loved them all, it's all I've known, but I am good with this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f01UehWq3v8 Bobby DYlan & Joan Baez ' Blowin in the Wind'

No comments: