Sunday, May 8, 2011
Hey, Ma.- 2011
"Have you ever seen the Sunrise?" Thomas Sullivan Magnum
"Did you see the sunrise?" Magnum to Ivan
So, this fine day brings many good memories of you. You been gone way too long already, and have missed or not missed many conversations, many laughs, many ironies, the extent to which remains unknown by me as I still babble to you phone or no phone.
Strong thoughts of 9/11 were brought up this week after the icon was finally caught up with, and I wondered for your take on this potential Ivan, and his demise, after we had witnessed the same destruction that day.
Many conversations held with you and Dad on the economy, depression babies conversations of the past flitting through my head, the morning scenes of backpackers across America emerging from the edges of darkness each morning as the light comes up, heading for the soup kitchen that is ours on Northwest Highway, the homeless much more now than a few unfortunates or druggies or people with mental health issues, now they include some very fine folks who used to walk our paths, and used to hold fine jobs, trying to live off the land like a Frontier Freemont who's afraid of getting too far away from civilization or it's amenities.
So as I flit back into the past: Thank you for your diligence when I ran the high fevers, thank you for the Kool-aide the day I bit my tongue jumping up in down in the little swimming pool, thank you for all the band-aides, thank you for all the lady like lectures, fall walks, movies, music, authors, and fine books.
Thank you for all the Irish humor that would carry us through so much strife, thank you for making me witness a woman standing up to every adversity and when times were the absolute darkest thank you for teaching me to stand and endure, and make it through each unblessed episode, until the chapter could be closed.
Love to you and Dad wherever you roam, I carry you both in my heart and in my head. The tulips and daffodil's Dad and I planted still bloom each spring, the plants we all sunk in 85: The Justin Bush, Ziggy Bush, and Reenie Bush are all still in the yard under bloom, I used Dad's boat cushion yesterday for my knees as I planted the veggie garden, there are so many memories here of all. Rick found me the day before sitting out on the old now sad decaying bench just soaking in the natural beauty of the yard, him like an old dog comes out to retrieve me from my thoughts bringing me back into the present and what has new buds on it, and where some weeds need to be yanked.
Knowing what you should do, and wanting to do it are two different things, yes?
I still have the last card you gave me, when you told me to take care, I have to say Ma I never saw it coming some 5 months out, Love you, Happy Mother's Day to my mom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment