Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St Pat's Day

"When was the last time, you ever saw the sunrise?" It's coming up right now, and promises a fine weather day a rarity of 75 degrees in Chicago Land on March, I can remember two others so fine, and those were days of a girl and her siblings out playing baseball or volleyball.  Fun for us, and yet we could see our own home across the playing field and always knew when it was time to go home as we'd see our Irish Grandpa arrive with our own Dad.  Irish Music would play, and then Grandpa would play his Accordion for us, his foot thumping to the beat. My own brother with an angels voice singing to us as he stood on a dining room chair, the Ballad of Kevin Barry.

It's the Irish I get my sentimental side from, so I have my own thoughts and memories flitting in and out today, and I watch our son and his friends plan out their own outing to Celebrate their partial heritage, and I think I had it better, as I knew Grandpa who had come from that war torn country to become an immigrant in this land, a land that treated all immigrants roughly if you survived the boat trip, a land that would force you into fighting for your own progresses, after having been exiled from your own homeland.

It was no easy transition from one land to the other, so like stayed with like, and segregated themselves as a matter of protection and strength, and so it's sweet all these years later St Patrick's Day is celebrated more in the USA than it is in Ireland:)
For my folks and their teachings:
“May the road rise up to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the sun shine warm upon your face
And the rain fall soft upon your fields
And until we meet again
May God hold you in the palm of his hand”
― Irish Blessings

No comments: