Saturday, November 17, 2012

An Aunt's Inspiration

Aunt Dot told me some years back that I had a good writing style, and to start a blog so I could write about the things that affected me in this life, I did do this and it's allowed me to get my feelings and thoughts expressed on all the things we encounter in life, I wouldn't have had the confidence without her nudges., and shared love of Chicago a town we both grew up in.  We had learned all of this through emailing back and forth with her brother Dean who has been my good friend and Father in law for years now, I shared memories of Annunciation Church off of Paulina, and she wrote us back remembering she'd once lived across from it by the rectory, and of we were  writing back and forth about different Chicago landmarks, or old memories we each had of that vital town.

Some of the writing involved different people and relationships that made a difference in each of our lives.  Sometimes she would simply write that the computers were acting up and that Aleta her daughter was going to spend that sunday afternoon tweaking them a bit, and that she was off to the kitchen to make them all sunday dinner.  They lived in trailers that were next to the other, so they were able to have so nice family fun still on Lee's days off, or leisurely days of reading newspapers and books. 

My own Auntie's of merit long gone, and my own parents as well,  I enjoyed the relationship's as the evolved.
Both of them having me keep an eye on Aunt Vi when they couldn't, brought me into another vital link they shared, one that for me would bring about a great sadness, as I shared some of her last path causeways, a sadness maybe only my dear pal knew I experienced,  It brought with it some touching moments like her reaction to a pink rhinestone heart that was on my wallet, or stopping off to have dinner with her in the dining room when she could, or the simple things like getting her shawl or putting on lotion to legs and feet.  While she slept I read some old newspaper articles and learned more about her former life and what an amazing women she was.  I still miss Aunt Vi, and hope she felt my intent somewhat.

And then Aunt Dot's request for the posies for her own Ma, and we did it for Mother's Day, all of ours are at the same place, we remembered mostly the spot. She was so happy we'd done that for her.

And then the years brought vertigo to Aunt Dot, she couldn't be up long for the computer, time changes things, so Aleta and I kept some contact through emails, she is a good daughter, much in spirit to many other daughters and sons, she's given a ton of love back to the people who loved her so well. She lost her dad this year, and last night she wrote us about Aunt Dot's passing. My heart goes out to the family, very hard two in such a short amount of time, no words can convey enough on the loss to a family.

Aunt Dot became one of my Auntie's, in our age of computers it is amazing the relationships time builds, and some of the fun it gives, and comforts too in times of loss, she came into my life for some crucial parts and I can't let her go without saying: thank you for the push to express, much better than holding it in, thank you for the growth that this blog has given me in at least knowing myself, or my perspective on a few more pieces.

No comments: