Tuesday, June 7, 2011

And that has made all the difference:

"The Road Not Taken Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, And sorry I could not travel both And be one traveler, long I stood And looked down one as far as I could To where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, And having perhaps the better claim, Because it was grassy and wanted wear; Though as for that the passing there Had worn them really about the same, And both that morning equally lay In leaves no step had trodden black. Oh, I kept the first for another day! Yet knowing how way leads on to way, I doubted if I should ever come back. I shall be telling this with a sigh Somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I— I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." — Robert Frost Can it be 5 years since it all started shifting? A life, a spirit, a powerful being, a problem solver, a husband, a father, a friend, a son, a brother, an uncle, a grandfather, a god father you were these to all of us, a different relationship with all, a total commitment to all at our given time of quality with you, and always: when you'd had enough you walked away to tend elsewhere. So many years, over 35 of them spent tending a house, rebuilding what was rotted, replacing what had worn, and a schedule that permitted time with everyone, you had your finger on the pulse of the families, and could generally tell before they could what was lacking, what was needed in most arenas before the core participants could tell. You listened, you pondered, you offered many advices as we came and went from your life. It would be seldom that anyone left your side without feeling better or that they had a better game plan than they arrived with. Our families, your wife's families, no difference between what was given out in wisdom or assistance. You and she conspiring on how and where to help with so many people, many times shorting yourselves to accomplish the mission. When you left our sides, we were our strongest, because of all your years of tending and loving us, we were ready to carry it forward for you, and in honor of you, so you'd know we had really seen how one valuable life could impact us to the point of making us bettered humans. All of us have lives that spiral far out, with many obligations, with many schedules, with many responsibilities and burdens, hopefully with many good times of laughter, and I've no doubt that even though time and small problems which might have become magnified throughout that time, well I've no doubt that today at some point each of us will pause, or even have our minds wonder to you, to night when the winds picked up in June fiercely, and the trees newly leafed were heard loudly with forces of wind, as the earth didn't want to give up you and an 8 fell to the ground. We carry you in our hearts, we try to walk the walk, and talk the talk, we try to remember kindnesses, we fall short of you, but we will never forget you or what you gave to us all, we can only promise to keep trying until we get it right, and do you honor. A tear & a smile*

No comments: