Saturday, June 18, 2011
Days of old, and music
Music is a natural healer: For about the last 14 years, the friday before Fathers Day a band named American English who perform only old Beatles music, plays at our community park center, an outdoors concert that starts in the daylight and ends in a night under the stars, only last year it was rained out, so mid week my old friends starting trying to coordinate when and where we'd meet for this now tradition of ours.
Similar to traveling and hectic paces before you actually sit down on the plane, I ended up working late, everyone in American remembering their insurance details at 4:45pm on a friday, I handled accident reports, payment problems, and found out one client forgot to tell us about 5 new drivers she inherited in a company acquisition, one of which was in the accident previously mentioned. Traffic to home, a bank run to cure an account, BLT's for dinner prepped while my spouse cut the grass, and by 7:40pm I walked out the door & manned my beloved hand me down truck for my adventure.
We found our friends, and they found us, and we rocked with the band listening to golden old music that surrounded us on the decades changing lifestyles years back, the 60's, 70's and 80's how quickly everything changed, but to our youthful then world, either the band changed us or we the human culture of those times changed the band, I was never certain which, perhaps it was a combination of both, but none of us would ever be the same. It brought us into a much faster paced world, which evolved into the present times. I thought of Forest Gump while I was sitting there and how well that movie pegged those times, and the music influencing the times.
But as they played yellow submarine and had everyone clapping and singing along, or when the closed with Hey Jude, the night out under the stars still held magic for me, some type of healing from the magic of music and being outside was very good for me, for us all.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment