Friday, December 10, 2010

Holiday time of past Chicago memory

"Do more than exist-LIVE! Do more than touch-FEEL! Do more thank look-SEE! Do more than hear-LISTEN! Do more than talk-SAY SOMETHING!" - John Harsen Rhoades Somewhere in Chicago in olden times of 1958 or 59 or 60, I remember being in the old 55 Plymouth somewhere on Milwaukee Avenue near Ma's Rubens were she made time payments on a coat, she let us have her old coat eventually to wrestle and tumble on, siblings and I. But her new coat was spectacular, it smelled good, always had a hint of doublemint gum smell like her, and a slight smell of her cologne, I knew trhe smells cause I sat in the middle of Ma and Dad when driving the city streets, the boys in the back seat. Dad parked the car, Ma went to make her installment payment, it was Christmas time, snowing, pretty yet gentle, some type of bells chimed out holiday music, and Silver Bells played. When I hear it play like yesterday, my eyes tear up for some of the sweet memories of old, and I smell doublemint and Ma's colgone, and I see snow falling at night with that slight purple sky.

No comments: